Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative endorses professional development by supporting individuals wishing to attend continuing education programs offered outside this region. Individuals employed within the library of a member institution may apply for a scholarship to attend programs such as library seminars and workshops, pre-conference programs, conferences, and other educational programs which will benefit service at the local library as well as regional library service.
2018 Honorarium Policy
Purpose: Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative (TdS) endorses career development by supporting staff of member libraries who wish to attend continuing education and professional programs in library/media or other job-related fields or participate in professional engagement that advances libraries and librarianship. Honorarium funds are awarded as an incentive for individual growth and development.
Total budgeted: The 2018 budget has $10,000 allocated for this purpose.
- Applications are available on the TdS website.
- Applications are submitted at least 14 days and no more than 180 days in advance of the training. Honoraria will not be funded retroactively.
- Honoraria are for a maximum of $400 and are payable to the individual when a completed expense report, receipts, and summary report of the conference/training are submitted, which are due within 30 days after the event.
- An honorarium applicant must be an employee of a TdS member library.
- Applicants may receive only one honorarium per calendar year.
- Expenses eligible for reimbursement may include, but are not limited to:
- Registration/tuition fees
- Transportation or mileage for the use of a personal vehicle (reimbursed at current IRS rate). Only one person in a vehicle may request mileage.
- Cost of a substitute to cover while applicant is at an event.
- Books/publications that are required for participation.
- Expenses that are not eligible include:
- Lodging or meals for a companion or colleague
- Expenses not pre-approved on the application
- The Executive Director of TdS evaluates the applications in the order in which they are received, and makes an award decision within 10 business days of the application. In the absence of the director, the Board Chair makes the determination.
- The applications are evaluated using 5 criteria, each worth up to 10 points. Applications must score at least 30 points to be funded. The criteria are as follows.
- The application is the first from that institution in the calendar year (Jan – Dec).
- The event is relevant to all member libraries.
- The event is relevant to the applicant’s institution.
- The event is relevant to the applicant’s current job position.
- It is possible to effectively share the information gained with other staff from TdS member libraries.
- Applicants will be notified via email of the action taken on their applications.
- Details of the Honorarium Program are reported to the Board on a monthly basis.
Requirements for Reimbursement
The recipient of an honorarium must submit via mail or email all at one time, the following items.
- A 100-200 word report about the event attended. Include a review of the event, highlights of what was learned, and how it will be useful on the job. The report will be forwarded the TdS Board.
- A completed TdS reimbursement form with copies of all receipts. Please do not submit original receipts. IMPORTANT: Credit card receipts are not sufficient unless they specifically detail the items purchased.
- The completed reimbursement form, specifying to whom the reimbursement check should be made and the appropriate mailing address.
Reports and receipts must be submitted within 30 days of the event and can be mailed or scanned and emailed.
Mailing address: Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative
1400 Madison Avenue, Suite 622,
Mankato, MN 56001
Questions? Please contact the Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative office for assistance.
For Application Form click: 2018 Honorarium Application Form
For Reimbursement Form click: 2018 Honorarium Reimbursement Form